Sunday, November 11, 2012

Who will know?

We are now the elders of our family and in some cases of our group of friends. It is a sobering thought because who can we ask what we should do? I remember the first time I realized we had to make up our own minds, but we were still young and there were people to ask. It was Thanksgiving probably about 30 years ago and I remember standing in our kitchen: my sister, her husband at the time, Arnie and I wondering if the turkey was really done. I had a moment of fear, knowing it was up to us, at least until my Mom got there. She may have been at our home once that morning as she usually made the stuffing and then brought it over to bake at our home. Now my husband is in the middle of mess of paperwork, he can change his Medicare Advantage plan during the open enrollment which will end on December 7th. It is kind of a big deal, he can only change within an Advantage plan because of his pre-existing condition (cancer). Due to our limited income we need to get the best bang for the buck. So he is calling agents, having agents present different plans. He would like to talk to someone about it, I live here, so I would be a good choice. I am overwhelmed by the paperwork, the decision, the time limit, and wanting to do the very best thing. If my Dad were alive, we could talk this over with him. Today we are the people who need to decide. We are the ones who are supposed to know. I wonder if the generations before us didn't really know either.

No comments:

Post a Comment