Monday, September 10, 2012

Job Well Done!

I know, I know, I am still writing about my parents....I thought I was done. In the group that I am a part of, we talk alot about humility, letting go of expectations, thinking of others instead of self. It's what can make us better people. I believe it can and will. I was not a humble child, although I was insecure and not confident. Those kinds of feelings can result in acting boastful, angry and impatient. I was also intolerant and easily bored. Taking care of my Mother was an exercise in patience,tolerance,and humility. (I wrote much about that in my prior blog "Turnabout is Fair Play".) Sometimes when I do something good, or take the time to help someone,in those moments when I am able to put my needs and wants aside, I have to think to myself that my Mom was a teacher for me until the end of her life. Job well done Mom. I cannot thank you enough. Or maybe I can by simply doing the right thing.

2 comments:

  1. Gloria, you and I are similar in so many ways. You do know that I took care of my mentally ill mother for 25 years? I can't thank her however, since she mostly ruined my life. Your mom was one of my mom's favorites.
    You are so right though about giving up expectations. Expectations create upset. True love is about unconditional acceptance of ourselves and others.
    I always say that my parents taught me lessons I would have rather not learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure just how "simple" it is to do the right thing. I don't always know what it is, myself, and when I do know, still sometimes I run into trouble.

    Scratch that last. If I really know that it's the right thing, then it's easy.

    ReplyDelete